Monday, August 3, 2009

Challenger Baseball and a Recipe

Yesterday was a very busy day. In the morning, we went to watch harness racing at our county fairgrounds. Our County Fair starts today, but they always have harness racing on Sunday. We had a blast betting $1 or $2 on horses to win, place or show. I’ve never been to a harness race, let alone bet before. It was such a fun experience! After a couple of races, I got the hang of how to pick a winner. You didn’t win very much money, the most was $4.60, and I turned around and placed it on future races. There were 21 races total, but we only stayed for 10.

Later, we went to a picnic for my daughter, Kory’s, last baseball game. She’s on Challenger Baseball, which is for young adults with disabilities. After they played a quick game, they received their trophies and then had a picnic.

Here’s Kory being introduced on her team. She’s such a ham!!!

Challenger Baseball 2009 002

And this is her shaking hands with the coach before receiving her trophy.

Challenger Baseball 2009 028

wirebtrswetdiva

I also want to share with you a recipe that is always a big hit. In fact, it is “demanded” that I make it each year for the Challenger picnic.

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Torte

Dessert bars 001

  • 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
  • 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. chopped honey-roasted peanuts
  • 1 c. butterscotch chips
  • 1/4 c. peanut butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. break up cookie dough into ungreased 10- or 9-inch springform pan. Press in bottom to form crust. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugar and egg; beat until well blended. Stir in 1/2 c. of the chocolate chips and 1/2 c. of the peanuts. Pour over cooled crust; spread evenly.

In medium microwavable bowl, microwave butterscotch chips on High 1 minute, stirring twice, until melted and smooth. Stir in peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and peanuts.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until edges are set but center is still slightly jiggly. Cool on cooling rack 10 minutes. Run knife around side of pan to loosen; carefully remove side of pan. Cool 1 hour. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until completely cooled.

Cut into wedges to serve. Store in refrigerator.

I usually cut mine into squares – I seem to get more pieces.

Also, a friend of mine said she has baked hers in a 8”x8” square pan and they turned out fine.


8 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Kory is sure hamming it up. I worked for years as a nurse with the developmentally disabled and Down's Syndrome kids are so darn loveable. I bet she was tickled pink to get the attention. Your recipe sounds divine & I will definitely make it next time we have company. Thanks for sharing.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kory sure looks like she had a great time. Looks like a wonderful day for it as well!! What a sweetie.

    Now, I just bought the Eat This, Not That book. I don't think your dessert will fit in with that diet plan, but I just have to make it. Wow, does it look YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day.

    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day for Kory! And that dessert looks and sounds deliciously sinful. I'll have to keep that one in mind for the company that's coming next week...

    Enjoy your week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kris, Your Kory looks like such a sweetheart. I know she has a special place in your heart. Nice baseball pictures!

    Love the calorie - free recipe....but gotta try it this weekend!!!!!!

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your daughter. Great job.

    Yummy recipe. I love peanut butter and choclate. Will have to make that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, I must try this! You must be so proud of your daughter. Congrats to her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kris,
    boy, Kory is quite a little ham, isn't she! :)
    What a wonderful day for her.
    I have to tell ya, I chuckled, when I read your comment! I was actually goin to compare my stencil cutting to "cross stitching"!!
    Both take for ever (for me, anyway) and I find I am so impatient with both...guess i won't even try needle punch! ;)

    Have a great day!
    hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kory looked like she was having a great time. Ok thisis a recipe going into the files - yummmm.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my blog and will visit again. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin