Friday, November 19, 2010

Prim Turkey Project and Broccoli Casserole

Happy Friday, friends!!  It’s that time of year again where things are a little busy around here.  Besides working on a few projects, I’m also hoping to get my bedroom painted and the carpets shampooed before Thanksgiving weekend when the Christmas decorations start going up.  My goal is to have the bigger projects done by the first of December so that, hopefully, I can relax and enjoy the days leading up to Christmas!  We’ll see!!  LOL   It seems to be the same old cycle. . . . when one project gets completed, another one pops up!  I 

wirebtrswetdiva

Here’s a simple little project that I made the other day.

 IMG_3155

If you’d like to make one for yourself, simply click on the pattern pieces to enlarge the pictures and print out. 

Prim Turkey   Prim Turkey 001

Materials needed:

osnaburg fabric

polyester fiberfill

brown craft paint

1/4” dowel rod ( 2 - 7” pieces)

4” 1 x 4 pine board

feathers ( about 11 or12)

peppercorns

red wool/homespun

sandpaper

Cut out the pattern and trace onto a doubled layer of osnaburg fabric.  Sew along the marked lines, leaving an opening at the bottom.  Cut out the turkey, leaving 1/4” around the edges.  Clip curves.  Turn right-side out and stuff firmly with fiberfill.  Sew opening closed.  Paint the entire turkey with brown craft paint and let dry.  Sand the entire turkey to give it an aged look.  You can grunge yours at this point, if you’d like, but I didn’t grunge mine.

Stain or paint the dowel rod pieces to use as legs.

Using scissors, poke  holes underneath the turkey’s body (approx. where marked on pattern).  Add craft or hot glue onto one end of each dowel rod and insert into the holes. 

Center the legs on the base piece.  Mark and then drill where you want the holes.  Sand the base piece thoroughly and then stain or paint; let dry.Add glue to the ends of the dowel rod and insert into the wood base.

Poke holes in the back end; add glue to the end of each feather and insert into openings.  I did these one at a time, gaging where to place each feather.  I used 7 feathers.

Cut the tip of 4 feathers to approximately 3” in length.  Peel some of the feathers off the bottom to expose some of the quill.  Approximate where you’d like to place the side feathers and poke holes.  Add glue to the ends of the feathers and insert into openings.

Cut out a wattle from red wool or homespun fabric and glue to the end of the beak.  Finally, glue on peppercorns for eyes.

wirebtrswetdiva

This week’s recipe that I want to share with you is one of our favorites that I make every year for Thanksgiving and is very easy to make.

Broccoli Casserole

Mix together:

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 (8 oz.) can creamed corn

1 T. grated onion

1/4 tsp. salt

Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°.

Melt 3 T. butter and add 1 c. herb stuffing mix.  Set aside 1/3 cup.  Combine broccoli mixture with remaining stuffing.   Bake for 20 minutes.  Crumble reserved 1/3 c. stuffing and 1/2 c. French-fried onion rings (crushed) on top.  Bake for 15 minutes.

wirebtrswetdiva

As always, if you’d like to participate or see other recipes in Colleen’s (And Baby Makes Five) Homemade Holidays Recipe Swap, click on the picture below.

homemadeholidays 2

 

wirebtrswetdiva

Well, that’s all for this week.  Thank you so much for stopping by!!  Hopefully, next time, I’ll have a few pictures of  my Christmas decor!

 

Until Next time. . . . Kris

11 comments:

  1. Kris, that little gobbler is SO cute! You are so creative! The projects never seem to end do they? LOL! Thank you for sharing with us! We love seeing your projects!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that turkey!! So cute!! And I love what I see BEHIND him too!

    That casserole sounds yummy - how much stuffing do you start with?

    Have a great weekend!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire all you do Kris. That turkey is so darling. I wish I could sew! Looking forward to seeing your home all decorated up for Christmas. You always do such a fantastic job.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs, AMY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your turkey is adorable! I wish I could sew. I bought a simple sewing machine a while back but I haven't even gotten it out of the box. I'm hoping after the holidays. I need a teacher. lol!

    Not being a sewer... I'm not much of a cook either. lol. (I try to stick to decorating) But that broccoli cassorrole sounds great! I'm going to have to try it!

    Can't wait to see your Christmas Decor. Have a great weekend.

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your turkey is just adorable! I love his feathers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool turkey! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute prim turkey Kris!...and your recipe sounds delish!...have a great weekend!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love him Kris! So easy to make too!!! Thank you for sharing! Oh the casserole sounds delicious too! I will definitely try this one! Have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kris
    Adorable Turkey, you made it sound so easy!
    The Casserole, I am going to make it!
    Sounds so good!
    Tons of stuff to do isn't there & so much fun!
    I wanted to say thanks for becoming a follower, hope you enjoy my blogging!
    enjoy the day,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the turkey! Very original :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris, thank you for sharing this adorable Turkey. It looks so easy to make but makes a big statement.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my blog and will visit again. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin