Monday, August 30, 2010

Our Little Getaway to Lancaster, PA

Chuck and I had the chance to get away for a couple of days and decided to go to Lancaster, PA.  (I can’t believe it’s been two weeks already!)  I love visiting Amish country (Holmes county) here in Ohio and I’ve heard so much about Lancaster from friends on A Primitive Place, that I decided I wanted to check out the “other” Amish country!  lol

We headed out at 3:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning and made it to Bird In Hand about 9-9:30.  Just in time for the shops to start opening!

 Our first stop was at Bird In Hand Antique Market.   OMG!!  I’ve never seen so much stuff in my life!!!  The place was packed full!!  You could spend a couple of days in that place and still probably wouldn’t see everything!  Chuck and I were totally amazed!  The woman working there gave me permission to take pictures.  I only took one of the main floor because people were kind of looking at me like I was strange…..like a tourist!!   lol    

IMG_2855

These next pictures are of the basement.  This is only about half of the basement!  You pretty much had to dig through stuff.  Things were piled on top of each other….there was no way they could have kept any  inventory on what was there.  Besides the shelves and floor being piled high, there were all kinds of stuff hanging up.   Things were everywhere!!!

IMG_2850

IMG_2851

IMG_2852

IMG_2853

IMG_2854

We didn’t spend too much time in there because we had more places to visit.

This is what I bought: 

IMG_2878

Our next stop was at the Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse.  A lot of the shops sell similar things that I can find in Holmes county, so we kind of buzzed through them because I wanted to visit as many antique shops as I could.

Here a some pictures of the Village.  We stayed at the Inn, which is above the Quilt shop, and I took these pics on Wednesday morning before the shops were even open.

IMG_2868

IMG_2869

IMG_2870

 

IMG_2873

This next picture is of the Kling House Restaurant, which was right next to the Inn.   We enjoyed a free complimentary breakfast there Wednesday morning.

IMG_2871

 

These next pictures are of our room at the Inn.  There are only five rooms above the Quilt Shop.  It was very nice….and quiet….there was only one other couple besides us!!    If anyone’s interested, we had room #905.

IMG_2866

IMG_2867

IMG_2861

IMG_2862

IMG_2863

IMG_2865

IMG_2864

Unfortunately,  we spent a lot of time driving to antique shops only to find out that some of them were closed!!  In Ohio, if a store closes during a weekday, Monday is usually the day they close.  Evidently in Lancaster, Tuesday is the day to be closed.  There were a couple of antique stores I would have loved to have visited!!  Maybe on another visit!

On of them was White Horse Antiques in White Horse.  We did stop back there Wednesday morning on our way home, going a little out of our way to do so and I am so glad we did!!  It was wonderful!!  (I wasn’t allowed to take pics)  For any of you that are seriously into antiques, you definitely need to visit this shop!  The furniture pieces they had were gorgeous!!  They were in excellent shape and very decently priced!  I found a couple of pieces I would have loved to have bought but had no way to get them home!  They had a very nice selection of things…everything was clean and well organized.

This basket is the only thing I purchased there. 

IMG_2883

We then headed north to Morgantown and stopped at The Blue Snickel.  Very nice shop with lots of prim goodies. 

I purchased this pillow there.  I loved the color….it’s kind of a teal green.

IMG_2886

Then heading west towards home, we stopped in Stevens and visited 272 Antiques.

This is what I bought there:

IMG_2880 

( I have project in mind for the funnel!)

We then went down the road and stopped at Cocalico Creek.  I loved that store!  Lots of prim goodies there, too!   They had bundles of assorted Family Heirloom Weaver fabrics for $14 or $15 that I couldn’t resist!  They’re nice size pieces, too!

IMG_2884

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chuck didn’t come home empty handed, either!!  lol   These are his two big purchases!!!

IMG_2888

A back scratcher and “Kickin” Pickle Chips!!!  LOL  You know…..because you can’t find back scratchers anywhere but  in Amish country!!  (A little sticker says “Made in China”!!!)  LOL

I go to Amish country for prims and antiques and he goes for food!  Every time he goes with me to Holmes county, he has to buy Amish-made Guggisburg Swiss cheese and Troyer’s Trail Bologna!!  I keep telling him that I can pick up those exact same things at our local grocery store for the exact same price per pound!!  I guess it just tastes better when you buy it in Amish country!!  lol

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On Saturday, before we went to Lancaster, Chuck, Kory and I went to “our” Amish country.  We had originally planned to meet up with Lisa (Prims From Above) and her husband and mom, but they had a change of plans and couldn’t make it.  These are a few goodies I found there. 

IMG_2889

We also found two BIG items that we both absolutely loved!!  We didn’t buy them then and there, because we knew we were going to Lancaster and we wanted to make sure we didn’t find anything in Lancaster that we might like better!  We didn’t!

SO…….on the Friday after we got home from Lancaster, Chuck surprised me by coming home early from work and decided that we were going to Berlin to buy the items!!  WOO HOO!!!

And, let’s just say, the reason it took me so long to post about our trip is because I have been doing some MAJOR tweaking and rearranging!!! 

I hope to share pics with you soon!!

Until Next time. . . . .Kris

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice time and you came home with some goodies!ILove the color of the textiles!!
    I have been to Lancaster many times but now I want to visit your area!!

    Can't wait to see your tweaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi kris!!!
    love all the great pics!
    where did you find the brown jugs at in "our amish country" ? lol
    can't wait to see what you do with the funnel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to the Bird In Hand!!! Sounds like you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kris!...whatta great trip!...you are so lucky to have a husband that is willing to shop with you!...and I can't wait to see that big piece you bought and all of your tweaking!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures of your trip! Love the pieces you bought and the textiles are beautiful! Can't wait to see your tweaking with your new pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris,
    Wow, what an amazing shop the first one is, I could get lost in there for days. Love everything that you bought and I can't wait to see what the surprise is. I know what I would do with that funnel, what a great find and I love the crocks and textiles. thanks for sharing.
    hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY..... Did you ever find some great goodies!! Yep, I am jealous and really jealous over the goodies that you found during your trip that we were suppose to meet you at (boohoo). Sounds like you had a wonderful time in PA. I would love to go there sometime. Is it better there then in Holmes? Sounds like you found tons and tons of goodies. Can't wait to see what else you have....

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Kris! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! And finding prim goodies is a big plus! Now I'm curious as to what else you went back to Lancaster for! So I'm looking forward to your next post very much!
    Have a great week!
    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, what a wonderful get away and to stay at the Inn in Kitchen Kettle...how beautiful are those rooms.
    I've got to get to a few of the off beat places you mentioned. We normally don't don't do many of the Antique places but hopefully in October we will be able to.
    Thanks for the wonderful photos and you really got some fantastic items.
    Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful trip, Kris! I can't wait to see what you've been up to!

    Your bathroom makeover looks terrific too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a nice trip, I couldn't get over the great antiques stores they have in that area too. You got some great things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hubby and I just came home today from Berlin OH

    Susan
    Wooster OH

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a resident of Lancaster County I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. If you ever come to visit again try to come on a weekend and go to a town called Adamstown. It is just loaded with antique shops.
    Primitive Blessings to ya,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also live in Lancaster County. I just love Kitchen Kettle Village! Also, the Blue Snickel...a friend of mine loves to shop there. I love how they draw pics on the shopping bags...was yours like that?
    Glad you had a good time and love your purchases!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kris
    I have just found you and OH MY..I have been on a wonderful trip with you and didn't have to move from my home LOL..Now following and love your blog thanx for sharing.. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not been to Holmes County, I would love to go someday. Lancaster is wonderful too. Here in Oklahoma, we don't have prim shops, but lots and lots of antique malls and shops! Some of them you could get lost in for days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Kris, to going to Lancaster! That's really a dream of mine....all those prim goodies in one place...I just can't imagine! I love everything you purchased. You exercised much self control with all those choices! :)

    Have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I just found ur blog, I also live in ohio and love our amish country! I am very excited about the upcoming country living fair in columbus and prairie peddler in butler!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my blog and will visit again. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin