Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Breakfast Recipes & Family Room Pics

Happy Friday, friends!!  Are you all ready for Christmas?!  I’m happy to say that everything is falling into place at my house!!  I still have cookies to bake, which I’ll do on Monday.  I don’t like to make them too far in advance, otherwise, they’ll be gone before Christmas!!  Other than that, I’m ready!!

Today is the last day of school for Kory and Justin and so it’ll be nice to have the next week to be able to relax by a fire and spend some quality family time together watching movies and playing games.   We even have snow in the forecast!!  We’re suppose to get up to 2” tonight and on Christmas Eve there’s a 60% chance of some major accumulation!!  Perfect to snuggle up in front of a warm fire on Christmas Day, especially since we don’t have to go anywhere!!

We have a few activities this weekend to attend to.  Kory has bowling in the morning and then Saturday evening, we have a 50th birthday party for my brother-in-law to go to.  On Sunday afternoon, my Mom and Dad are having our family  get-together.  So that’ll be fun!

chrbrd    Here are a couple of recipes that we like to make and enjoy Christmas morning after all of the presents have been opened.   I hope you enjoy them, too!

Cream Cheese Coffeecake

Batter:

1/2 c. butter, softened

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

1 1/4 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/3 c. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 c. milk

Topping:

1/3 c. flour

1/3 c. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 T. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together.  Add remaining ingredients.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Mix topping ingredients together; mixture will be crumbly.  Sprinkle onto batter.

Bake 35-40 minutes.  Let cool.

Breakfast Pizza

1 lb. Italian sausage

2 c. bisquick

1/2 c. water

1 c. frozen hash brown potato cubes

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

3 eggs

2 T. milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Brown sausage; drain.  Mix bisquick and water; press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9x13 pan.  Spoon sausage over crust.  Sprinkle with potatoes and cheese.  Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour over top.

Bake 20-25 minutes.

chrbrd

As always, if you’d like to see who else is participating in Colleen’s (And Baby Makes Five) Homemade Holiday Recipe Swap click here:

homemadeholidays2

chrbrd

I wanted to share with you a picture of a cupboard my hubby and I made for my sister to give her granddaughter for Christmas.  This thing is huge!  She has a couple of American Girl dolls and my sister wanted us to make something for her to store the dolls in, along with all of the doll clothes and accessories.   My sister is going stencil something on the front of the doors and make liners for the baskets to give it a little color! (You can’t see it, but there’s another rod at the very top on the right side to hang clothes on.)

IMG_2184

chrbrd

Okay, before you see these next pictures, I want to explain a few things.   First off, I’m sorry they’re dark.  My family room is in the basement and doesn’t have any windows so the lighting is very poor.  I’m enabling it so that if you click on each picture, you should be able to see a larger view. (But don’t look too closely!  lol)

The couch and chair definitely clash with the plaid wallpaper (check out the pillows on the couch).  When we got new furniture for the living room a couple of years ago, some of the old pieces came down here.  We put a slipcover on the couch, but I never got around to getting one for the chair,  so a sheet got thrown over it, which helps a lot when Sam, our Dalmatian, rubs up against the front and leaves dog hair all over it!  Even tough it’s not very pretty, it’s easy to take off and throw in the wash.

Eventually, we’ll get new furniture and new carpet and redo the ceiling tile by raising it up a couple of inches and installing smaller 2’x2’ squares.  We’ll also put in recessed lighting to brighten things up a bit.

As far as the decor, I really haven’t put to much effort into decorating down here.  Everything is pretty much odds and ends from upstairs that I don’t know what to do with. 

My hubby did the Christmas decorations.  While I was busy doing the upstairs, he took the things that I decided not to use and placed them down here.  I usually have the garland, the stockings (that’s where Santa leaves the treats for the pets) and the tree, but not much else. 

IMG_2171

This is Sam.  I gave up trying to get him to move, he was way too comfy!!

 

IMG_2167

It’s not a very good picture, but, the TV stand was made using 3 ready-made cupboards from Home Depot.  We attached them together, put sides and a top piece on, and then painted.  The middle door holds our satellite receiver, Wii and Xbox 360 consoles, and the VCR/DVD player.  The other cupboards hold DVDs and video games.

IMG_2168

IMG_2174

On the top of the cupboard is my collection of Byer’s Choice “A Christmas Carol” figurines.  I usually have them upstairs, but since I’ve rearranged things, they didn’t work in the place I usually put them.

 

IMG_2178

IMG_2180

This heads into the Rec room, which I had posted pictures of earlier.

IMG_2183

The door you see in this picture leads into the utility room.  One day, when I get really, really brave, I’ll post show you pictures of it.  This is were Sam stays at night and while we’re away.  And also where Chuck comes in after work covered in concrete dust and muddy boots with stones stuck on.  On the extreme right, behind the pole, are the stairs leading up to a side door and then into the kitchen.

chrbrd

I mentioned in my last post that I was working on another Santa.  I love the ones that Druann makes and sells on her PictureTrail – Cinnamon Creek Cabin and the ones that Stacee makes and sells on her Picture Trail – Arnett’s Country Store.  I haven’t been fortunate to be able to purchase one of theirs, yet (I keep trying!!),  so I decided to try to make one of my own!  It’s definitely not as nice as theirs, but it turned out okay.  I didn’t have any patterns to use, so I had to create my own. I just kind of “winged it” as I went along.  I have a lot of tweaking to do!   I need to revise the pattern for the pants, because these make him look bowl-legged!!  lol   I’m not sure how I’m going to finish him off, yet, but I’m not going to worry about it until after Christmas.  I actually don’t even know where I’m going to put him!!  lol  He was kind of fun to make!  I’ll probably try to make more and experiment with other techniques, again, after the holidays!!

IMG_2192

chrbrd

I hope to be back and do one more post before Christmas – I have a few more things that I’ve made and want to share them with you. . . but, in case I don’t, I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and I hope that the time you get to spend with loved ones is a very memorable one and that Christmas turns out to be everything you’ve dreamed it to be!!

Merry Christmas!!!

 

Until Next Time. . . .Kris

 

26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and cozy family room you have Kris! It looks so comfy, clean, and tidy....love it!

    Merry Christmas!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your family room. It looks very inviting, warm and cozy. BTW, we have the same coffee table :)

    Love the Santa. Looking forward to more pictures of your other projects.

    Merry Christmas!

    Lucy
    www.farmersattic.com
    www.farmersattic.blogspot.com
    www.lucy43g.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks just great Kris...........
    including the recipes!
    Have a good weekend.
    Linda/simplycountryseasons

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cozy room Kris. I think it looks great. We have a basement family room with no windows so we put in a drop ceiling with lights in it. You really don't even notice there being no windows with the lights in the ceiling. Your fireplace is beautiful. You have some fabulous dressers and cupboards down there. Great storage solutions. I just love the whole room.
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris,

    Your home always looks so cozy. I absolutely love your Santa. I think he turned out wonderfully. Can't wait to see more of your creations!!

    Merry Christmas my friend!!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Kris, I agree with everyone else...your room looks so comfy & cozy and NEAT!! Your Santa turned out great! I wouldn't change a thing.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your downstairs family room is a lot warmer and more put together than mine. It is so cozy and welcoming Kris - but then again, everything about your home is. I just love it all.

    Your Santa came out great!! I love your 'I can do' approach to everything. You are so very talented!!

    If we don't see you back here again, I'll see you on FB! Enjoy sleeping in and relaxing with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your downstairs looks wonderful in my opinion..tell hubby he did a great job...and I love your santa too..looked at the 2 sites they have wonderful stuff..but I can see why you made your own..;)enjoy your weekend..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your rec room looks cozy. I love the fireplace and sure could use one with these freezing temperatures right about now :)

    I think your Santa turned out wonderfully. I really like him alot. Excellent job for just winging it!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. And also a safe and warm one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love visiting with you here, Kris! There's always so much to admire and enjoy.

    I agree that your family room is a warm, welcoming, and lovingly decorated space. What a great place to enjoy being together as a family.

    Have a wonderful week leading up to Christmas, my friend. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kris, the cabinet for the American Girl dolls is perfect! My grandaughter mentioned that she would like one of those ( in the catalog) someday. Yours is perfect!

    Your familyroom looks prim, clean, organized and ready for you and your family to watch a great Christmas movie! So cozy......

    Last, I just love your Santa. Oh....(sigh) I would love to make one like him. You are so very talented.

    I appreciate all that you show us. You are inspiring!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Kris.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your family room looks so nice & cozy. I love your santa...he's awesome! Have a great weekend!

    ~Hugs~
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Kris what a perfectly wonderful cozy room!!!! I can picture you all down there cozy by the fire watching something great on the tv or playing video games! By the way I love the plaid wallpaper. I toyed with doing a plaid in my bedroom but decided to go with a solid color. And the sheet.......well my new couches are covered all week long with sheets because my boys love to snack in there and read the newspaper. Your new Santa is fantastic. You amaze me with your talents!
    That cream cheese coffee cake sounds like a keeper. I'll try it tomorrow while we wait out the storm! Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  14. kris, everything looks great!!!!
    i can see the whole family there enjoying the time together.
    thanks for posting the pics!!
    i love your santa, you are going to have to give us a tutorial. :)

    it is freezing rain and snow here in
    southeast,ohio.
    stay warm, kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kris, As always your home pic's are beautiful. Love, love the Santa, you are so clever.It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kris I love your family room, its very warm and welcoming! I think I am going to try your cream cheese coffee cake this Christmas, it sounds so yummy!! Have a wonderful weekend!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Kris!!!
    What an open wonderful room....your decorating is beautiful.
    Merry Christmas
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you've put as much attention to detail in your basement as you have the rest of the house. And, my daughter is crazy about your puppy!

    We got a little snow this morning. Not enough to completely cover the grass but still enough to get the Christmas spirit going.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kris, I love your fmaily room! It looks great to me! And I LOVE your Santa! You are so very talented!
    And I have to say that I love the dolly wardrobe! I used to collect American Girl dolls and this cabinet of your's is better than anything they make! Your sister's granddaughter is going to LOVE it!
    Christmas Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your family room looks great. Very cozy !!!

    Merry Christmas , always enjoy reading your blog and your crafts, etc. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Family room looks great! Thanks for the recipes, I do something very close to them, so I know that they are delicious. Your Santa is fantastic looking. Fabulous job! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. HO HO HO MERRY CHRISTMAS KRIS

    santa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kris,
    I just came upon your blog and recognized you from A Primitive Place. Just wanted to say I love your santa. His face is wonderful! I'm always trying to get an Arnett Santa too. In all the years I've only managed to get two.
    Suzanne (earlynewengland)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for both of these recipes. They sounds very easy to make. Keep posting! Enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Kris,
    Your basement is very cozy indeed.
    Thank you for recipes,the cake was a hit at our house. Renate

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoy your web site! it certainly has everything, from recipes ( which i've tried several and they were a hit at my home:) crafts and of course prim! LOVE IT !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my blog and will visit again. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin